Monday, April 25, 2011

Morel Mushroom Experience

Last week my boyfriend and his brother were going mushroom hunting and I asked if I could tag along. This was the first time that I have hunted for morels.We started out about 9 am on Wednesday and finished about 7:30 that night. It had rained the day before, and the ground was pretty saturated. The boys put on their rubber boots, while I had to make due with my canvas hiking boots. We started trekking through the woods and the boys found a few mushrooms here and there. I was getting discouraged because I was unable to find any mushrooms, and my feet were soaking wet. As the day wore on and minimal success, we decided to head back to the car. As we were leaving, we stumbled on a patch of mushrooms on the side of the trail that turned into an incredible find of more than a couple pounds worth.

The following day, we decided to go hunting again. This time we were joined by their father. As my boyfriend and I were walking ahead of the others, he found this snake in the grass and was trying to catch it. He was teasing me that he was going to throw it on me, which made me squeal. His brother who heard my scream had thought we found some mushrooms and soon caught up to us. A few minutes later, we all stumbled on a large area littered with morels. I am very grateful to my boyfriend for sharing such a great "first time" experience with me. It has been great being able to spend some quality time together.

Having so many morel mushrooms, we now have to figure out the best way of enjoying them. We have tried cooking morels in several different ways. I prepared morel and cheese omelets for my boyfriend and I on Easter Sunday. We have also enjoyed them sauted, and breaded and fried. I would say my favorite would have to be the sauted morels. Keep checking back as I will share my omelet recipe with you next time.

For more information on Morel Mushroom recipes go to www.morelhunter.com.

Have you ever been mushroom hunting? Please share your experiences or favorite recipes with us, and thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment